Blue Button Plus provides the ability for patients to securely send their clinical data out of an Electronic Health Record to an application or tool of their choice in a machine-readable format. This patient data liberation is a huge market opportunity for entrepreneurs and developers that build patient and consumer facing health applications, which previously faced high friction when onboarding and retaining users who had to manually enter and update their data.
The skills taught in this course will be transferable to other types of health data exchange specified in Meaningful Use Stage 2 certified Electronic Health Records, specifically for View, Download, and Transmit, Provider Data Portability, the Clinical Care Summary, and Transitions of Care.
The Blue Button Plus Devs Forum is run by developers, for developers who are building applications that will receive patient data. We will briefly introduce the Blue Button movement for a patient's right to their own data, and then dive into the technical specifications required to enable your application with Blue Button Plus, including;
Data holder providers and EHRs will be in attendance, and patient data receiver applications that have succesfully or are in the midst of implementing Blue Button Plus will demo and answer questions.
More information on Blue Button and Blue Button Plus can be found at http://bluebuttonplus.org/index.html and http://healthit.gov/bluebutton.
- Educate engineers and entrepreneurs on the Blue Button Plus initiative
- Movement to empower patients they are already part of
- Business model and product opportunity
- Implementation/tech basics
- Showcase and matchmake with data holders implementing Blue Button Plus
- Provide technical support and issue tracking during live connectathons
- Accelerate the development of consumer facing products utilizing Blue Button Plus to bolstersupport for the initiative